PRATTVILLE HIGH SCHOOL
October 21, 2014
Check out gophslions.com for more info!
· Students that are interested in speaking to Julianna Staples, Vanderbuilt University college rep, please sign up for Thursday’s visit outside of Mrs. Harvard’s door.
· During activity period, the following colleges will be visiting PHS.
o North Alabama College Rep – November 13
o AUM College Rep – December 11
o Auburn Liberal Arts Rep – January 8
o Troy College Rep – January 15
· If you are interested in attending the University of Alabama, you and your parents are invited to attend an application and scholarship seminar hosted by the Autauga County chapter of the UA Alumni Association on October 30th. Representatives from the Alumni office will be available to answer any questions you may have about the process. The seminar will begin at 6:30 in the Mane. Please sign up outside Mrs. Harvard’s office by October 28th.
· Kid President has challenged schools all over the United States to participate in #socktober, to raise awareness for the millions homeless in our country. Many shelters get clothes , jackets, and even shoes, but what they lack are clean socks and underwear to pass out to the homeless. The Diamond Dolls have accepted the challenge from Kid President and we are asking that all students and faculty participate. From now until October 31, in 1st period, please collect CLEAN pairs of socks/underwear. The class with the most pairs will win a chickfila breakfast party from the Diamond Dolls for their support. Our goal is to raise 1000 pairs to donate to Faith Rescue Mission.
· Please join FCS for Donuts and devotions Wednesday morning in room PA-1 at 7:10 am. Mr. Hethcox will be the speaker this week. All are welcome!
· Congratulations to the Prattville High School Marching Band! They competed at the Pell City Marching Festival this past weekend where they earned all superior rating s as well as Best in Class Band and an award for having the Most Entertaining Show!
· Reverend Dr. Watkins Scholarship applications are now available in Mrs. Harvard’s office. Any senior attending Faulkner University please see Mrs. Harvard for a scholarship opportunity.
· Attention all BETA members – Please bring all food and/or drinks for induction on Thursday 10/23. You can bring these items to Mrs. Studdard in SS-4 or Mrs. Stringer in 313. If you’d rather make a donation of $5.00 to cover decorations, or paper goods, please bring the money to Mrs. Studdard in SS-4 or see any BETA officer. Induction will be this Thursday night at FBC Prattville. Inductees need to be there at 6:00. See the BETA webpage for details.
· The University of Alabama Admissions and Scholarship Seminar will be held on Thursday, October 30th at 6:30 pm in the Prattville High Mane. RSVP to Michelle Studdard.
· Dr. Brannon Lentz has scheduled a Tuesday, Thursday (October 20 and 24) workshop for the ACT at the Prattville Courtyard Mariott. The cost is $89. For contact information see Mrs. Harvard.
· PHS Project Job Serve Participants! Please pay your $10.00 for your t-shirt by this Thursday’s FBLA meeting and don’t forget about the Resume building workshop this Friday after school in Tec-1 on the Senior Hall or Lab-B on the Freshman Hall.
· Please come out and support the PHS Lady Lions Basketball team at the Prattville Chipotle at 2566 Cobbs Ford Rd on Thursday, October 23rd, from 5:00pm to 9:00pm! Bring in the flyer, show it on your smart phone, or tell the cashier you’re supporting the cause to make sure that 50% of the proceeds will be donated to PHS Lady Lions Basketball Booster Club.
· Golf Tryouts are October 21-24 at P’ville Country Club! Sign up in the field house - per Coach Cahoon.
· Come celebrate Breakfast Week (October 20-24, 2014) with Autauga County Schools! Prizes will be given out every day to students that eat breakfast in the cafeteria! Students who eat breakfast will be able to vote daily for their favorite team, Alabama or Auburn and on Firday, the winner will be announced. Prices are: paid students $1.25, reduced students $0.30, visiting adults $1.75, and visiting children $1.25.
· Anyone who didn’t buy a class shirt, or who wants another class shirt, you can go by Ms. Northington’s room, SS-7 during 5th period. Cash only. First come, first serve.
· Brown University will present an informational presentation and an opportunity for questions and answers on Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 7:00 pm hosted by Montgomery Academy Garzon Library, Vaughn Road Montgomery Alabama.
· If you are interested in joining the anti-bullying organization, “STAND”, please see Brendan Ryals, Matt Deavers, or Elizabeth Sumner for more information or to sign up. The sign-up sheet is outside of Mrs. Thigpen’s door.
· Cookies will be sold at Prattville High School on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.
· Our first PHS Project Job Serve will be this November. FBLA members will have the opportunity to meet and work for local businesses on Friday November 7th. Job Serve applications are to be picked up in Tec-1 (technology pod on the senior hall) or Lab B (freshman hall) and participants will be chosen from job interviews. Interested students are to attend the FBLA meeting this Thursday in room PA2 (Theatre room) during the activity period.
· Upcoming Open Houses: for more information on any of these events, check the college information and scholarships tab under the guidance section of the schools website.
o University of South Alabama will hold USA Day on November 22, 2014
o UAH open house dates: October 24, November 22, and April 11.
o ASU Connection Day is November 8th.
· Writing Workshop is a new organization where students can receive help writing their papers. They are currently seeking volunteers. If you would like to know more, see Mrs. Murphree, Sierra Lacy, or sign up in the front office.